Thank you for taking the time out to learn about me, I really appreciate it.
This page is divided into three parts; WHO AM I, WHY I BLOG and WHY YOU SHOULD TOO.
WHO AM I
My name is Zahid, pronounced Za-Head, and I have been blogging since 2006.
I was born in Karachi and raised in Dubai where I lived for 19 years before moving to California in 2002 to pursue my Undergrad. I graduated with a B.Sc. in Accounting from SF State.
I now live in San Francisco Bay Area – a.k.a Silicon Valley.
I recently left the world of corporate tax in pursuit of product happiness. If you are looking for a problem-loving, solutions seeking, and roll-up-sleeves kind of Product Manager, I am your guy.
When I am not pursuing product happiness, I like to spend time with my son, experience new places, try my hand at photography, read technology news and sleep.
WHY I BLOG
I started blogging to document my experience as an F-1 student in the U.S. I mostly blogged about my school, my classes, my assignments, social media, the internet etc. I didn’t have a particular goal but over the years, few interesting things happened:
- I improved my English. My mother tongue is Urdu.
- I got better at writing and communicating in English.
- I explored my creative side by self-teaching myself Photoshop, Lightroom, and Premiere Pro.
- I learned how to use social media to promote my blog, get traffic to my other blogs and launch new blogs.
- I helped numerous aspiring accountants pass entrance test for accounting majors at SFSU.
- I got a link back as a source from Wikipedia (ahem) for a short period of time.
- I became the go-to person in my social circle for all things blogging and social media – ego boost.
- I consulted pro-bono with my bookkeeping clients and helped them with WordPress, SEO, and social media marketing – value add.
- Most of all, my confidence increased 10 folds.
I learned a lot by simply figuring out how to blog better. I don’t want the learning to stop.
My goal now with this blog is to curate software tools that solve our everyday problems using technology and write how-to guides on topics I understand well. Of course, once in a while, you will also find me ranting.
WHY YOU SHOULD BLOG
- To build a personal brand around what you are most passionate about.
- To build a business doing what you love to do, not what you have to do.
- To build relationships with like-minded individuals.
- To refine your written communication skills.
- To share your perspective, opinion, and knowledge.
Knowledge is useless if it never leaves the confines of your mind. Go do something about it, start a blog.
P.S. Goes without saying but just for the record, my opinions on this blog, on social media, on the internet everywhere, are personal and don’t represent the views and opinions of my current and former employer(s).